Having successfully completed this course, the student will be able to:
1. Interprete and use site investigation data to form idealized soil profile.
2. Calculate the immediate (elastic) and consolidation settlements of foundations in soils.
3. Determine the bearing capacity of shallow and deep foundations.
4. Design retaining structures such as cantilever and gravity retaining walls, anchored walls, reinforced earth walls.
5. Identify the stability problems of road embankments, natural slopes, excavations etc.
6. Use finite element method (FEM) to analyze Geotechnical structures or problems.