Having successfully completed this course, the student will be able to:
1. Develop an understanding of the analog and digital modulation techniques.
2. Model digital communication systems using appropriate mathematical techniques (e.g. using probability distributions, signal-space analysis, constellation diagrams).
3. Determine the signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) performance for analog communications systems, and determine the probability of error performance for digital communications systems.
4. Design matched and integrate-and-dump filters to maximize SNR of signals.
5. Compare the performance of various communications systems.