Student, who passed the course satisfactorily will be able to
- explain and use the theories of light (ray optics, wave optics, electromagnetic optics in particular),
- understand the phenomenon of diffraction of light and its applications (diffraction gratings, Fourier optics etc.),
- design optical waveguides (slab waveguides and optical fibers),
- solve practical problems of light transmission, loss and dispersion mechanisms, in optical fibers,
- understand the basics of fiber optical sensors .