- teach students basic knowledge of structural nomenclature, geological events, structures, their main characteristics, origin, development, history and relationship.
- develop student's ability of 3-D thinking.
- teach students how the geological structures are recognized and systematically identified in both field and laboratory.
- teach students how the structural data are collected, analyzed, interpreted and used in solution of some global and societal problems.
- develop student's ability to organize and combine information obtained from the field and other sources in suitable ways in writing technical reports.
- teach students basic knowledge of topographic maps, their common elements, solution of various common geological map problems involving basic geological structures and events, including their development history
- develop student's ability to view a 3-D image from a 2-D map.
- teach students systematic thinking and the use of certain methods in solving problems related to geological maps.
- develop student's abilitiy to understand geological events, related structures, their systematic analysis and interpretation of geological maps.
- make students aware of the importance of meeting deadlines.