- Learn the principles of thermodynamics;
- Understand the properties of bulk matter;
- Understand the laws of statistics.
- Make the connection from one atom to the Avagadro number by considering the quantum behavior of atoms and the laws of statistics.
- Apply the rules of macroscopic (thermodynamics) and microscopic (statistical) viewpoints.
- Formulate the behavior of engines, and refrigerators.
- Demonstrate and recognize the concept of free energy, and chemical equilibrium;
- Develop the concept of Boltzmann statistics.
- Develop the concept of Fermi-Dirac and Bose-Einstein distribution functions.