This studio course aims to set up a common study platform with Rest 506: Design in Architectural Conservation (4-8)8 and other theoretical courses. The course study has mainly three stages; which are documentation, assessment, preparation of conservation proposals.
DOCUMENTATION stage covers:
- Survey and documentation of the building and its near surroundings through a field survey with special emphasis on physical features,
- Survey and presentation of structural system and material of the building,
- Survey and presentation of types of decay and structural stability in the building,
ASSESSMENT stage covers:
- Structural analysis on stability: collection of samples and tests on material through observations and/or structural modelling/ laboratory studies,
- Evaluation of the problems related with building and their possible sources,
- Definition of the values to be protected and finalization of researches on decay types and structural stability of the building,
PREPARATION OF CONSERVATION PROPOSALS stage covers:
- Preparation of a time schedule and research program for detailed survey on material and/or structure for the short and long term interventions,
- Research on necessary structural interventions and determination of techniques and materials to be used in restoration,
- Developing proposals/ preparation of proper details for conservation and definition of questionable points which should be carried out during the restoration.