(1) Identify the common elements by name and symbol.
(2) Describe the nuclear and electronic structure of an atom of any element in the periodic table and predict the properties of the element on the basis of these structures.
(3) Describe the electronic structures of common molecules and ions, and predict the properties of these species on the basis of their structures.
(4) Write and balance equations for chemical reactions, and describe verbally the processes which occur in these reactions.
(5) Have an understanding in chemical bonding, behavior of gases, chemical thermodynamics, chemical kinetics, equilibrium, and electrochemistry.
(6) Answer questions relating to the chemical laws, theories, and concepts described in the assigned chapters and in the lectures; and apply these laws, theories, and concepts by solving representative problems.