1) Identify basic components of control systems, Understand feedback, stability, gain. Apply Laplace transform.
2. Draw block diagrams, find transfer functions
3. Model a system using state space form.
4. Determine controllability, observability, transform a system to controllable, observable and diagonal canonical forms
5. Analyze a system in time domain, identify transient and steady state responses
6. Inspect stability by Routh Hurwitz, Root Locus and Nyquist techniques
7. Implement pole placement by state feedback and observer design.
8. Have some knowledge of frequency response and stability margins.