Upon successful completion of the course, students should be able to:
- Relate the working principles of mechanical cutting tools to the failure criterions used in rock mechanics.
- Recognize the importance of bit-rock interactions in mechanical rock cutting.
- Describe the tools used in both mechanical and blasting fragmentation.
- Define the meaning of commonly used terms such as burden, spacing, subdrill depth stemming length, charge distribution along the hole etc.
- Design both surface and underground blast works and differentiate the difference between surface and underground blast designs.
- Predict the importance of environmental impacts of surface blasting.