At the end of this course students will have the ability
- to write the mahematical expressions for displacement and strain fields in beams, plates and shells
- to express the stress resultants acting on infinitessimal beam, plate and shell elements,
- to combine the kinematics, equilibrium concepts and material behavior to obtain governing differential equations for the structural theories using direct and variational approaches,
- to express boundary conditions for beam, plate and for simple shell problems,
- to obtain analytical solutions for beam problems and certain simple plate and shell problems,
- to obtain approximate solutions to beam and certain simple plate problems by variational methods.