Having successfully completed this course, the student will be able to:
1. Develop an understanding of the telecommunications systems.
2. Identify methods for time- and frequency- domain analysis of signals and systems encountered in communication systems.
3. Understand the relationship between analog communication and digital communication, and reasons behind the increasing use of digital communications.
4. Understand the need for baseband signaling (Pulse amplitude modulation, pulse code modulation, bandwidth requirement of PCM, line coding, time division multiplexing etc.).
5. Understand the need for bandpass signaling (Complex envelope representation of bandpass waveforms, modulation and demodulation of signals, spectrum of bandpass Signals etc.).
6. Understand the functionality of bandpass circuits used in telecommunications (limiters, mixers, detector circuits, PLL).
7. Identify and analyse modulation schemes for analog bandpass communication: AM, FM, PM, and variations.