At the end of this course, the students will be able to:
(1) Determine stress distribution in soils due to loading at the ground surface
(2) Discuss site investigation methods, planning of boreholes, soil sampling, and in-situ tests such as Standard Penetration Test, Cone Penetration Test etc.
(3) Calculate the immediate (elastic) and consolidation settlements of foundations in soils
(4) Determine the bearing capacity of soils
(5) Identify different foundation types and design shallow foundations
(6) Evaluate the lateral earth pressure in relation to earth retaining structures, and design retaining structures such as cantilever and gravity retaining walls, anchored walls, reinforced earth walls
(7) Determine single and group bearing capacity of piles in soils, and calculate settlement of pile groups