The main objectives of the course are:
- to understand the nature of engineering surfaces, their topography and surface characterization techniques,
- to learn about the contact of rough surfaces and their interactions,
- to apply the basic theories/laws of sliding and rolling friction to predict the frictional behavior of commonly encountered sliding interfaces,
- to learn about wear mechanisms, wear theories, and analyze and estimate wear rates on rubbing surfaces,
- to learn about the basic principles of lubrication, theories of hydrodynamic and elastohydrodynamic lubrication and apply to engineering problems,
- to interpret the latest research on new topics in tribology including its application to mechanical devices and systems.
- to be aware of importance of tribology, friction, wear and lubrication and the applications in engineering areas.