Upon successful completion of the course, students should be able to:
- Understand the meaning of commonly used underground mining terminology such as shaft, adit, drift, crosscut, raise, winze, room, stope, longwall, etc.
- Be familiar with the types of and the design of underground mine openings and development procedures
- Make underground mine design
- Identify classification of the mining methods and be able to choose the best underground mining method for any deposit which the characteristics are given
- Recognize, choose and use the tools and the equipment used in both mine development and exploitation
- Recognize and be aware of the environmental concerns and the impacts related to underground mining
- Gain ability to have creative mind, to adapt themselves to changing technologies and to achieve lifelong learning and professional growth