At the end of this course, the student will:
- explain the typical structures and the properties of very common engineering materials and the relation between the material’s internal structure and its properties.
- describe some of the very common material processing techniques of metallic, ceramic, polymeric and composite materials,and comprehend how an engineer can achieve a desired property by controlling the structure.
- explain stress and strain concepts, and failure of materials, as well as fracture, fatigue, and creep.
- explain phase diagrams and microstructures. Introduce phase transformations, thermal processing of materials and its relation to microstructure and mechanical properties.
- select and evaluate appropriate materials for various mechanical engineering applications.