By the end of the semester, the students will:
1. be able to identify and reflect on effective communication and time management skills;
2. demonstrate information skills by conducting searches on the Web and METU Library online catalogue and databases to identify, locate, and evaluate to choose and use sources efficiently;
3. be familiar with effective listening and note taking strategies;
4. demonstrate skills in strategic reading, note making, and summarizing;
5. demonstrate critical and analytical thinking skills to identify, deconstruct and to evaluate an argument;
6. be familiar with academic conventions and how to follow them to avoid plagiarism;
7. demonstrate an understanding of academic writing- be able to distinguish between academic and non-academic writing and identify the basic elements of an academic essay- and make an outline to write an introduction, a body paragraph and the conclusion of a documented academic essay.