Course Learning Outcomes
- Apply basic discretization techniques to recast a continuous differential equation into a system of algebraic equations.
- Use basic iterative methods to solve nonlinear equations.
- Derive and employ the fundamental balance laws of thermomechanics.
- Construct algorithms to update the internal variables of an inelastic material model.
- Derive stress and consistent tangent expressions of (in)elastic material models.
- Implement thermal, elastic and inelastic material models into a 1-D non-linear FE code and solve (initial) boundary-value problems.